When attempting to use the built in camera on a Lenovo laptop the camera does not work. Instead of seeing the image from the camera you see an image with a grey background and a white camera with a cross through it.
The same image is seen with all applications. This issue appears to be a bug with the Lenovo software – where the camera’s “privacy mode” is enabled by default.
Solution 1: Check for a lens cover
- Look for where your camera is on the laptop – usually this is above the monitor on the frame
- Check if it has a lens cover and whether it is closed
- These are usually a small plastic strip that slides over
Solution 2: Enable using keyboard button
- Look on the laptop keyboard for a camera icon – this is usually around F8
- Press the key to see if it enables the camera
- If it doesn’t – try holding the ‘Fn’ key and the camera key